The new DJI OM 4 is out. If this sounds strange it used to be called the DJI Osmo Mobile, they just shortened it to OM. The design from the 2-3 was a very radical redesign. This is more of a design that fixes a few things with the Osmo 3 designs.
Here are some of the upgrades DJI did for OM 4
- ActiveTrack 3.0: Select a subject for the DJI OM 4 to automatically track and let the gimbal do the work for you. Newly updated, the mode features improved distinction between subjects such as adults, children, and pets. Framing during ActiveTrack can now be adjusted by using the dedicated joystick for enhanced control.
- Gesture Control: Easily start and stop video recording or take photos by using hand gestures to control the DJI OM 4, perfect for capturing an epic selfie or group footage without a finicky self-timer.
- Pre-programmed Movements and Modes: Take advantage of unique gimbal movements and high-grade image modes that will make footage look like it was shot by a professional:
- DynamicZoom: A visually appealing cinematic look, the DJI OM 4 automatically adjusts the zoom function to create the dramatic background shift made popular by Alfred Hitchcock.
- Timelapse, Motionlapse, Hyperlapse: Show the passing of time in a sped-up form using TimeLapse; Motionlapse, which adds set movement points for the gimbal; or HyperLapse to physically move with the gimbal. All three modes use Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) technology as well as the 3-axis gimbal for an added level of smoothness. Easily share these creative videos on social media for the world to enjoy.
- Slow-motion: Slow down the world around you in stunning detail with the Slow-motion feature.
- Sport Mode: The DJI OM 4 will respond and follow subjects and movements faster to add a level of action to the scene.
- Panoramas: Choose from three creative panorama options to capture a wider perspective including 3X3 panorama, 240°panorama and a new “CloneMe” panorama which allows the user to add multiple versions of a person or subject into one shot for a unique and creative effect.
- Spin Shot Gimbal Movement: Activated in the DJI Mimo app and using the joystick, the gimbal will rotate the phone to give a spinning effect.
- Story Mode Templates: Choose from one of the preset templates to add a creative spin to your content. The DJI OM 4 uses preset movements, music and color palates for quick videos perfect for sharing on social media.
The biggest thing you will notice is the way the phone attaches to the gimbal. Previous Osmo used a clamp on the gimbal to attach. This has caused a few issues for some users. They have replaced this with a magnetic attachment. Which is a great new way to attach your phone.
I am a huge fan of the OSMO or OM line. It’s simple to use and the battery lasts forever without recharging. I bought the Osmo Mobile 3 last year. Am I going to buy the OM4? No, I am not. To me, this is not a “game changing” upgrade like the Osmo 3 was. But, then again, I was moving from the original Osmo to the three.
The new DJI OM 4 retails for $149. The Osmo 3 was $119 but the deluxe was $139. If you are on a Osmo 2, I would say get the up grade!