I had my first client leave me this week. I will say its not something I am happy about but it’s all part of business. They explained it was a strictly business decision. Which I really appreciated, and I respect that, because we are all in business to make money. So, you have evaluate and re-evaluate your spending.
I hope to have them back soon, but in the mean time it really reinforced what I knew about clients. Here are some of my Client Services SOP’s:
- Get clients you work well with and share a vision. Don’t go after the money
- Treat your clients like equals, don’t be superior. Education may be a part of process, but you will need their expertise at times as well.
- Be honest with your clients, may seem like a no brainer but you will be surprised how this one is not followed. If you mess up, just say it, I have found people respect you when you own up to mistakes and tell them about it, rather then hide it and hope they don’t see it.
- Talk to your client, even when nothing is going on. Communication builds the relationship more then just telling them bad
- If a client does have to leave be respectful.
- Don’t bad mouth a client for leaving, especially if it’s a business decision.
- Give them all the information they need to carry on business with our major disruption. That includes all log in’s, passwords, and anything else.
- If they do come back welcome them back and offer the same level of service
This is how I handle my client management. I am very happy with the way I do things and think they work well. I know at times I will change as things happen in my career, but feel honesty is the best policy.