TV is changing. This is not just a speculation, it’s a reality. The reason I know this I have several friends who don’t have Cable. They watch everything they want online. This is just the tip of the iceberg. As the years go on, TV will completely change.
TV Will be, when we want to watch it
- It will be available on our Mobile, Laptop, iPad, TV
- It will be on demand, no longer are the TV schedules
TV Production will no longer be for Hollywood producers
- Anyone with a flip/video cam can start producing content
- There will be smaller producers with hit shows
- It will be similar to podcasting now.
- There will be fewer commercials in the program. It will be similar to a Hulu model.
- Product placement will be bigger then a traditional commercial
Paid content comes into play
- Premium content like HBO and show time will go into a paid content model.
- Available to you when you want to watch, maybe one time or view unlimited
- Commercials will not be a part of paid content; don’t think consumers will go along with it.
- Social media will allow for greater feed back from the audience
- Content will be pushed out as it’s done and you can get instant feedback from the viewers/subscribers.
Questions to ask:
- What will make a hit show?
- How will it be distributed? Streaming, downloads, iTunes?
- Live events? Stream such as sports and awards shows.
- Will TV and computer merge into one?
These are just my thoughts on it. I think some of these will take time to come to fruition, but I really think TV will be on our terms now. The best thing I heard, and I think it was on This Week in Media, that new/social media are there to cut out the middle men. That means it will cut out the record companies, production studios and distribution networks.
We will see how this plays about but expect change in TV, its now a not if it will happen but now when!