I have used the Twitter for Mac app since its introduction. Then it was called Tweetie. It was available as free or paid app. However, the ads were the most focused and relevant of any service I have ever seen. I clicked about half of the ads served to me and bought a few things it showed me. But thats not the point of this post. This app has long languished into the wasteland at Twitter for the last few years. Many of the advancements of Twitter never made it to the app.
This past year Twitter announced they were doing an update to the app. It dropped the end of 2015. I deleted the app from my computer and downloaded it to give it a try. At first It looked the same as before. But as I started to use the app, they really did improve it. It can now display videos, quotes and more! Twitter did a great job on this update.
Here is what’s included:
- Inline video playback – You’ll see videos play directly in your feed.
- GIFs support – See animations without leaving your timeline.
- Group Direct Messages – Create and receive private notes with up to 50 people.
- Mute – Silence specific accounts so you no longer see them in your feed.
- Today Center Widget – Get your Twitter Highlights right on your desktop.
- Dark Theme – Now you can see the world in black or white.
- Updated design – Get the latest improvements to icons, buttons, and interactions.
- Quote Tweet – Add your two cents to any Retweet.
I have started using this on my desktop as my main Twitter app. I used to open Safari and Chrome to manage accounts. This I can easily switch back and forth! With these additions it makes the app very usable app! The new app is in the Apple Mac App store now!