Well the long wait is over. Today Google announced Google Plus Pages. It took most of the day for me to get in and set it up, but I finally did it. Some of the problems I have seen are:
- Only one admin is available right now, so who ever creates the page will be in charge of community management
- It took me a while to figure out how to get back to my page, ask Drew Hawkins, but next to your picture/avatar there is a switch menu
- Google extended YouTube this week but I hoped to see greater integration with it for a page.
- People can’t self select what circles they are in under the page, it will be done by the community manager
- No dedicated URL for the page, Facebook just opened up so that any page, regardless of # of fans, can have a user name with a dedicated URL. Google Plus needs to have this feature ASAP. The search using +(page name) has been acting wonky today, so I hear.
Just a few concerns of how to manager and put together a page. This leads me into another issue. How will Timeline affect brands? It hasn’t been officially announced that it will come to brand pages. But, if you remember correctly when the profiles were last made over, it was carried over to Brand Pages. This was also released early and caused Facebook to go down for an hour!
I haven’t heard when Timeline is coming for personal profiles. I have applied to be submitted, but Facebook doesn’t get in a hurry to release new updates. It took me 10 months to get Messaging, which was supposed to be a email killer. Does anyone even use their Facebbok email?