Just when you thought Google+ was on life support they release a new feature. The new feature is called Collections. This feature is sort of a Pintresty type of service inside Google+. I say “sort of” because to me its different than Pinterest. But more on that in a second. Here is the announcement on Google+ about the new service:
Introducing Google+ Collections, a new way to group your posts by topicOur happiest Google+ users are those who connect with others around shared interests and passions. So we set out to give people a place to express the things they love. Today, we’re announcing Google+ Collections, a new way to group your posts by topic.Every collection is a focused set of posts on a particular topic, providing an easy way for you to organize all the things you’re into. Each collection can be shared publicly, privately, or with a custom set of people. Once you create your first collection, your profile will display a new tab where other people can find and follow your collections.
Posts in collections you follow will appear in your Home stream, with a link to easily jump right into the collection so you can get to similar content from that author. Collections give you a great way to find more of the stuff you love from the people you follow.
Collections is available on Android and the web, and iOS is coming later. For Android users, make sure to update your Google+ app to get access to Collections.
For inspiration on interesting topics, check out our Featured Collections page here: g.co/collections
Create your collections today and share what you love
- Just like Pinterest each collection is on a single topic. So you can create anything you like and share with people.
- You can share both pictures and videos. You can also put in a link, similar to the Pin-it Button and share content from sites across the web.
- Collections can be public or private
- Unlike Pinterest the the collection is done chronologically. Currently Pinterest shows you relevant pins based on what you are searching, they may not be the most recent
- Speaking of search there is no dedicated search to find just collections. Pinterest will let you search via a search bar or by category
- Currently there is no way for a page (Brand) to create a collection it appears to be just for individuals
- No analytics built into the collections
- Unlike Pinterest you can add a Polls and Events directly in the collection
- Not available for brands or pages currently
The pro’s and con’s being said I think if they roll this out to businesses it could be a great collection of articles and information. It could be more helpful to small businesses. It will take time to see exactly where Google is going on this. While I don’t think it’s a Pinterest killer or even competitor. It’s a different take on how to share info.
If you currently have a big Pinterest presence I wouldn’t suggest in sinking a massive amount of time in collections. Google+ is really focused on users and they haven’t place a big value on brands, in my opinion. It will take time to see what they have planned for this.
I have created two collections. The first is Social Media. This will be a more graphical reading list for me. Articles that I really like and want to keep or reference will be placed here. The second collection is the Marketing Elements Small Business Social Series. I will post links to all the videos (working on them now) and articles I post.
The Collections is rolling out across the web and Android. I had it on the web this morning and could create Collections. The Collections will be out in IOS soon.