Pinterest is one of the last major social media networks that doesn’t have a live stream option on the Platform. This may be changing sooner than later. Pinterest communications manager Marie-Joëlle Parent said on her Twitter that they testing live events May 24-26th on the app. This makes me think you will need to join via your phone or tablet and not through the website.
Testing is one things but I think this is a logical step for Pinterest. Look at what has sprung up in the last few years. Udemy, CreativeBug, and more are teaching people how to do things. Such as, painting, knitting, cosplay, and more. I even saw that “Only Fans” which is known more for adult content, is starting to push their service like a Patreon type service. Where creators can put up lessons. I swear, this is an add I have been served several times on Facebook.
What industries would be good on the new Pinterest Live?
- Beauty – Beauty brands and influencers can host makeup and unboxing on the site. I know many do them on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube currently.
- Crafts – Influencers and Brands can use this to teach people about new products or even how to use their products. This includes painting, knitting, paper arts, hand lettering, and more.
- Fashion – Brands can use Pinterest to do Red Carpet events, Fashion shows, or just behind the scenes at the business.
- Cosplay – Cosplay may seem odd to many, but it’s picking up steam, and more and more people want to create their own cosplay looks. Giving tips & tricks, behind the build, and more.
- Cooking – Pinterest is known for sharing recepies. I have a board of recipes (many I haven’t even tried, like the S’mores in the cast iron skillet). The live streams talk about the ingredients (such as substitutions and where to buy hard to find items), cooking demonstrations (show the pin in real life), and show basic techniques you will need to complete a recipe
These are a few of the industries that would be great to host a live stream on Pinterest. The details on how to go live will be forthcoming. When it is released, I will be showing you some of the best practices for the platform. Tune in this month for the tests, and let’s hope we get to go live soon on Pinterest